Resolving to be ourselves
Instead of resolving to improve ourselves in 2023, perhaps the most radical gift we can give our troubled world is to simply be ourselves.
A wise woman once told me: “To be yourself is to fulfill the will of God.”
There is only one you, after all.
Surely we can only repay the wild extravagance of this singular existence by living who and what we are out loud and in color.
But after a lifetime of trying to fit in, cuss less, make more money, get in shape–whatever formula of self-revision you favor–it can be damn hard to locate the authentic Self.
In this week’s soul-tending circle you are invited to explore the dark waters of the heart with the help of the sacred drumbeat.
What guiding lights will present themselves to help you remain true to the deep Self in the year ahead?
Happy New Year, y’all!
Way of Council
At the start of each soul-tending circle, we will use the Way of Council to help us surface and articulate our intentions:
- When listening, listen from the heart, without analyzing, agreeing, or disagreeing;
- When speaking, speak from the heart, naming what is alive right now; Silence is welcome;
- Be lean of expression, going to the essence of what needs to be spoken;
- Be spontaneous, trusting what comes, rather than what one has rehearsed or what one thinks should be said;
- Confidentiality, with deep respect for people’s privacy and the transiency of the moment, participants are encouraged to not engage with other participants on things that came up during council, and not to share its specific content with others.
These guidelines are not rules. They are practices that invite us to appreciate the immediacy of the moment and place faith in ourselves and others.
Our first free soul-tending circle of 2023 will be held on Wednesday, January 4, from 4-6 pm PST/7-9 pm EST.
Feel free to email me at anna “at” gaiashamanism “dot” com for this week’s zoom invitation. All skill levels are welcome.